Saturday, May 28, 2011

2010 Christmas Letter

I found this letter from Christmas 2010 in my files. I thought it might be worth posting.

Love,
Tom

It's Christmas Eve.

This morning I awoke at 7:00, dashed off a couple of emails, then went on a pre-shower drive around town. The crisp morning air was refreshing. I dropped off a some coloring books and puzzles from Elizabeth for my nephew Joshua Black in Mesa.

On the way back from the Blacks, on Gilbert Road at the University traffic light I noticed a huge dog the color of a brown bear in the back of a big white pickup truck. At first I wondered about his safety, but then I noticed how excited he was to be there! He was so excited to see what was happening that he couldn't decide which side of the truck to be on. Back and forth. Back and forth. When the light changed he got even more excited. And back and forth even faster! I think he was so excited to see both sides at once that he ended up mostly seeing the back of the cab. :-)

Walmart at Stapley and Baseline has Great Value brand 100% Whole Wheat Bread with NO high fructose corn syrup and NO trans (hydrogenated) fats for $1.48 (comparatively good deal for good food if you aren't sensitive to wheat). So I dropped by Walmart at Greenfield and Baseline to get a few loaves. But their Great Value bread has high fructose corn syrup and many more ingredients than at Stapley and Baseline. Back to Stapley for four loaves and a thank you talk with the manager.

Elizabeth and I were separated April 2009 and divorced August 2009, so we have had to adjust to being a two-house family for the time being. While I wouldn't wish a broken home on my worst enemy, we have been blessed. Sarabeth, Michael, and Matthew have been amazingly supportive and cooperative. I have a wonderful thrifty and peaceful little apartment in downtown Gilbert near Grandpa and Grandma Haws's house. Sarabeth has her own bedroom there, and we three boys sleep in the other bedroom. Sarabeth (17) is preparing for college and has really nice friends. Michael (13) is turning into a man and starting to take more interest in his grades. He enjoys cooking, movies, I Love Lucy, SpongeBob, and a good laugh. Matthew (11) has been creating some amazingly advanced computer games with GameMaker 8. He enjoys tender things in life, is very considerate of me, and is always trying to do his best and be his best. Elizabeth (44) is learning to keep books for a janitorial company. She is very generous with me and gives me a big smile every day when she calls to talk. She is beautiful, cheerful, and affectionate, and has suitors everywhere she turns. Miracle after miracle.

I lost my full-time job at Hubbard Engineering on April 23, 2010, so I am having the time of my life as a self-employed engineer and web programmer. The wonderful thing about being self-employed is that I can do any kind of work I want! The work and the checks come in at random, which is a great exercise in faith and love. Sometimes I have little to do for a week or two. One day I awoke with nothing to do, and by evening I was juggling three clients. Somehow or other the ends have met, and it has been 8 months now. Miracle after miracle.

My life's journey has been an amazing adventure since 2003 and the future is nothing but bright. I am incredibly happy to be in this world with you each and all. So as Tiny Tim might say if he were from Mesa, Arizona.

Heaven bless us all!

Love,
Tom

No comments: