Sunday, May 2, 2010

2010 Water Fast - 12 days later

May 2, 2010

It has been 12 days since I ended a 12 day water fast.
I have been eating mostly a lacto-vegetarian diet of D'Adamo's Teacher (GT4) Genotype Superfoods. Normally I have not eaten any dairy for the past 5 years. But D'Adamo says yogurt and certain cheeses are beneficial for me, and I have been testing that with a few spoonfuls of yogurt daily and a small slice of Havarti cheese occasionally.

Something big has changed since I fasted. My skin has been ultra-oily all my adult life. It has been so oily I have used oil from the side of my nose to grease sticky door latches very effectively. But in the past few days my skin has been so dry that the backs of my hands are a bit raw. And my face and scalp and body have no acne at all. I don't know whether the change has come because of the fast, because my body is out of energy and fat, or because of D'Adamo's Teacher (GT3) Genotype Diet.

Yesterday I ate a few things D'Adamo calls toxic for Genotype 3 Teacher. They were tomatoes and sauce, a bit of corn, and cheddar cheese (I was eating up after my sons, being Dad the garbage disposal). I also ate some home made yogurt (see next post). This morning I have a tiny pimple on my face.

Friday 9 days ago I lost my job at Hubbard Engineering, and the past week has been extremely busy, fun, exciting, stressful, and happy. I hope to post more about that very soon. But I wanted to mention it here in reference to the spiritual aspect of fasting. Fasting has a spiritual effect. Sometimes it's hard to put the effect into words. But new thoughts and feelings come, and perspectives change.

I was reading the Gospel of Thomas in verse 6 where the disciples ask Jesus, "Do you want us to fast? How shall we pray? Shall we give alms? What diet shall we observe?" Jesus said, "Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate, for all things are plain in the sight of heaven. For nothing hidden will not become manifest, and nothing covered will remain without being uncovered." Reading that really put into perspective the important things for me, and revealed to me some of my delusion about spirituality that I persist in despite my best intentions.

I was also challenged by verse 14 that reveals more blindness of my eyes. "If you fast, you will bring sin upon yourselves, and if you pray, you will be condemned, and if you give to charity, you will harm your spirits.
"When you go into any region and walk about in the countryside, when people take you in, eat what they serve you and heal the sick among them.
"After all, what goes into your mouth will not defile you; rather, it's what comes out of your mouth that will defile you."
Great teaching is full of paradox and mystery. Great teaching is challenging. May Heaven grant us all eyes to see.

No comments: