Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Quick, Healthy, and Filling Oatmeal Breakfast

I am 6'-0" (1.8 m) tall, 155 lb. (70 kg). My weight has varied between 150 lb. (68 kg) and 178 lb. (81 kg) since my teens.
I have never had a double chin (but maybe that's because I talk too much and grit my teeth). I seem to be able to gain weight and lose it slowly at will. I enjoy much more weighing less. Less is more! And I think a key to my health and weight is my lifelong habit of eating oatmeal (and I'm not suggesting oats are a miracle food or a wonderful food). A few years ago when I changed my breakfast from oats and milk to oats and orange juice, my weight began a long slide to my current weight below my high school weight.

I believe that a breakfast like mine could help many people in their efforts to control their weight.

I call my breakfast oats, OJ, and raisins. The recipe is 4 cups (1 liter) water, 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) old-fashioned (not quick or instant) oats, 1 cup (240 ml) orange juice (or to taste), and 1/4 cup (60 ml) raisins (or to taste). This will seem thin at first, but will thicken up beautifully.

Step one. The first thing I do in the morning within seconds of arising is to put 4 cups (1 quart, 1 liter) tap water in a 2 quart (2 liter) deep bowl (for safety in step 5, the bowl needs to be large, deep, and stable with a lid) and boil it in the microwave (about 8 minutes) while I electric shave, use the potty, write a few journal notes, or put my clothes on the bathroom counter.

Step two. When the water is boiling and the microwave oven is still running, I stop the oven, lightning dump 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) old-fashioned oats into the boiling water, and swirl or stir the water to wet the oats.

Step three. I return the oats immediately to the oven for another 45 to 60 sec of cooking. I time this to avoid oat volcanoes (boiling over messes). In my experience with my ovens, I never get a volcano mess with 45 seconds of re-heating.

Step four. After showering and dressing and immediately before leaving the house, I remove the oats from the microwave oven and add raisins, then orange juice. At this point, the oatmeal usually seems rather thin, but it soon thickens. I try to postpone the addition of orange juice as late as possible to give the oats all the time I can to cook. There have been times I have put orange juice in a cup for addition later at work.

Step five. I place the oats in a safe place in my car and take them to work, where I eat them as I am hungry throughout the morning or day.

Notes:

1. Bananas don't work super well with this recipe. Berries and dates do work well with this recipe.

2. Automobile safety is highly important. I think I will add a lid to Step 5. I have cleaned oatmeal from my car more than once.

No comments: