Monday, July 30, 2018

Fast with Sam Young for LDS Child Protection

This is a rigorous log of my participation with Sam Young in a fast for LDS Child Protection.

Mon 30 Jul 2018


On Saturday 28 July 2018 at around 10:00 p.m. local time, I ate a bowl of "raw" rolled oats with almond milk, raisins, dates, and dry roasted peanuts.

On Sunday morning 29 July at around 11:00, I decided to join Sam Young in his fast for LDS Child Protection. I had only tap water that day. In the evening I weighed 154 lb on my scale. My height is 72".

On Monday 30 July, today, I had only tap water. In the evening I weighed 150.5 lb on my scale. Pulse 60.

Wed 1 Aug 2018


On Tuesday I had only tap water. In the evening I weighed 150.5.

On Wednesday morning, pulse 54, weight 149. I had only tap water. Nausea all day. Evening weight 145.5. Switched to distilled (RO) water per the Natural Hygienists (Herbert Shelton school) before going to sleep for the night.

Lots of rest (naps) and minimal exercise since fast began. Continuing engineering work as usual.

Thu 2 Aug 2018


Nausea ended this morning. Yay! Feeling good in evening. Evening weight 141.

Fri 3 Aug 2018


Still feeling better, but low energy. Hate drinking my water. May add salt to my water. Evening weight 141.

Sat 4 Aug 2018


I had 1/2 teaspoon (5 ml/gram) salt last night. It tasted really great. But then I read a 2014 interview of Alan Goldhamer, founder of TrueNorth Health Center in Santa Rosa, California in Integrative Medicine: A Clinician’s Journal. Under his guidance, the center has supervised 10 000 patients in fasts. He said:
[The] ... fasting that we do by definition is complete absence of all substances except pure, distilled water in an environment of rest. Our program supports fasts from 5 to 40 days in length.
Also:
Patients are going to have all kinds of adverse symptoms. They are going to experience a foul taste in the mouth. They are going to get low back pain in early phases of fasting because of referral activity from changes in the kidneys. They are often going to get skin rashes, discharges from mucous membranes, headaches, irritability, nausea, and vomiting.
Based on that, I am having no more salt. And I am resting more. And I am taking my distress in stride.

Sun 5 Aug 2018


End day 8. Nausea comes and goes. First brief kidney pain. Getting lots of bed rest. Weight 139.5.

Mon 6 Aug 2018


End day 9. Apparent end of distress (nausea, kidney pain, and bad taste). Just tired. Newly, some heartburn. Weight 138.5.

Wed 8 Aug 2018

On day 11. Last night I weighed 137.5. Feeling good. Not much fat to spare except on my bottom.

Tonight I weighed 139.5 with 2 lb of water newly in my stomach. Pulse 61. Feeling good. I miss eating.

Thu 9 Aug 2018

End day 12. Weight 137.5 lb. Stomach hurts. Little fat. Obsessing over food. May be time to end.

Sat 11 Aug 2018

Since I knew my fast was ending, I started adding salt, vitamins, and minerals to my water on Friday. If nothing else, it sure tasted good and helped me drink more water!

End day 14. Weight 137. Very low on energy (note from my weights that my body is not burning fat or giving me energy very fast; probably a good indication I am done). Thursday was the right day to end. My amazing daughter Sarabeth offered to take the baton in fasting to support Sam Young. So tonight she had her last meal and she gave me my first 1/2 cup of juice (watermelon, cucumber, lime). I will finish this post following my refeeding routine and aftermath. The protocol this evening and tomorrow is 1/2 cup of juice every hour. Touch of stomach ache after a few hours, but mild.

Sun 12 Aug 2018

Day 1 of Natural Hygienist refeeding protocol. 1/2 cup every hour. Plenty of energy and feel great. No BM since three days into the fast.

Finished the juice Sarabeth made me. Used some bottled juice she gave me, though not fresh. Researched recipes for tomato and basil juice. Made a Tomato Basil Spinach Garlic Lime Hot sauce (Valentina) juice. Wow! Burned my throat, but Oh, so delicious! And no salt. Ended the day with a bland carrot celery juice and a red delicious apple juice (better than I expected).

Mon 13 Aug 2018

Day 2 of refeeding regimen. 1 cup of juice every two hours. Plenty of energy and feeling great. Digestion is noticeable; a bit of stomach bloating and gas. No BM since three days into the fast. Weight 140. Pulse essentially steady throughout fast around 60 at total rest or 70 at sitting work.

Made a quart of Tomato Mango Basil . Good enough alone.

Made a quart of Pineapple Carrot Spinach Lime Ginger juice. Very good.

Tue 14 Aug 2018

Day 3 of refeeding regimen. Feeling great. First BMs, unalarming and mostly dark with age.

Prescription is whole fruit every two hours. I made two quarts of Tomato Mango Basil Lime to drink every two hours. Supplemented with two bananas thrice around noon. Also I drank one quart of some commercial "Natural" Watermelon Drink (high-fructose corn syrup, pear juice, apple juice, and all) given to me by the host of a talk I gave today in Tucson.

This evening I made a single-serving Spicy Carrot Celery Lettuce Garlic Hot Sauce juice. I loved it.

At 8:00, 10:00, and 11:30 I had a single tostada thrice outside of my prescribed regimen instead of fruit or juice.

Wed 15 Aug 2018

Day 4 of refeeding regimen. Feeling great. Nice morning BM in a busy public restroom; neither "normal", embarrassing, nor alarming; still a bit aged and dark. Weight 142 lb (yay!).

Prescription is to continue with small portions of whole fruit. I made two quarts of Tomato Mango Basil Lime juice (love that stuff!). In the evening I was technically on day 5 of refeeding, so I had lots of misc good whole stuff in small intermittent portions.

Friday 17 Aug 2018

Day 6 of refeeding regimen. Eating everything now starting yesterday. Small and frequent portions until Sunday. Weight a.m. 143 lb. Feeling great. One canker sore and possible throat sores. Two nice BMs yesterday. Today's a.m. BM almost normal; still very nice.

Sunday 19 Aug 2018

End post. End refeeding regimen. Normal a.m. BM. Weight a.m. 150 lb. Canker sores. Started swishing with yogurt and including it in diet. 

No comments: