Thursday, December 8, 2011

Best older small car to buy is the 1996 to 1999 Honda, Toyota, and Nissan

Today I went down to Desert Auto Works at 330 East Southern Avenue in Mesa, Arizona. They are a top notch shop with smart and honest guys. (Horton's Auto Repair on Main at Higley in Mesa is another place with smart guys and good high quality work.) While I was there we got to talking about cars. I knew that they like Toyotas there. They told me that Hyundais and KIAs have come a long way, and that they never see the later model ones in the shop except for scheduled maintenance. They said that Hondas and Nissans aren't what they used to be, and that the best years for Hondas, Nissan's and Toyotas were 1996 to 1999, which is what the owner of the shop likes to buy and fix up nice.

My 1991 Honda Civic DX 4-door automatic used to get 38 miles per gallon. In 2003 it got a spark plug stuck, and Perfectune in Mesa let it get dented on their lot, then it threw a rod while they were driving it. I let them junk it and pay me. If I understood then that 38-MPG gasoline cars were nigh unto extinct as of 1999 and would be through the 2000's until hybrids and plug-in hybrids come along, I would have paid whatever it took to keep that wonderful 1991 Honda Civic running.

This seems like good and impartial information to me, and I wanted to log it.

No comments: